NYYM Payment Request Vouchers
The Budget Process
- The Operating Fund and Annual Appeal
- The Sharing Fund and Sharing Fund Appeal
- The Witness Activities Fund
- Trustee-managed Funds
About Supporting New York Yearly Meeting
- What Your Gifts Support—A guide to the ministries, programs, and services that your individual contributions and your meeting's covenant donations support.
- Ways that Members and Meetings Support NYYM—as individuals and families, as meetings, and through volunteering, committee service, and ministry; plus giving itself as a ministry.
The Budget Process
How the budget is developed
A new model was approved at Spring Sessions 2023 for a rolling three-year budgeting process. Responsibility for multi-year budgeting is carried by the newly formed (approved at Summer Sessions 2023) Budget Development Committee (BDC) that will follow an expanded process; the BDC consists of Friends representing and listening to the various constituencies of the yearly meeting, working together continuously throughout the year.
The draft budget will be available for Friends’ review and comment starting in April. The draft will be updated from time to time based on the input received and be finalized prior to December 31st. This is a departure from the prior practice of having the budget approved by the body of the yearly meeting.
The BDC is responsible for developing and finalizing the budget. The budget is no longer approved by the gathered body at Fall Sessions, allowing the body spend our time learning about what is rising within our yearly meeting, discerning what we are being called to, and worshiping together.
The BDC will develop the budget for the next three-year cycle, monitor budget performance, and adjust the budget as necessary. To do so, the BDC will consult frequently and widely with Friends and meetings throughout the yearly meeting to:
- identify needs and priorities of the yearly meeting
- how those may change
- how those may need to be reflected in the budget
The BDC will meet at least every other month throughout the year to assess the financial health of the yearly meeting and take action as needed in accordance with yearly meeting procedures.
Further Resources for the Budget:
The finances of the yearly meeting are managed by:
- Financial Services Committee under the oversight of
- General Services Coordinating Committee,
- Audit Committee,
- Development Committee,
- the treasurer and assistant treasurers of the yearly meeting, and
- the trustees of the yearly meeting and the treasurer of the trustees.
The Operating Fund and Annual Appeal
Your donations to the Annual Appeal supplement your meeting's covenant donation to the yearly meeting's Operating Fund and support the many ministries of the yearly meeting and the services it provides to local Friends and meetings.
The Sharing Fund and Sharing Fund Appeal
The Sharing Fund supports the witness ministries of the yearly meeting's witness committees, and, through the Witness Activities Fund (see below), the witness activities of individual Friends and local meetings.
The Witness Activities Fund provides grants to NYYM committees and individual Friends and meetings for witness ministry.
- Learn more about the Witness Activities Fund, including how to apply for a grant.
The Trustees of New York Yearly Meeting manage funds that were established through the bequests of Friends now deceased. The use of some of these funds is restricted—mandated by the terms of the bequest; some are unrestricted. The income from some funds flows into the operating fund; grants from some funds are open to application by individual Friends and/or by meetings.
- Visit the NYYM Handbook page for the Trustees, describing their purposes, functions, organization, meeting times and places, and finances.
- Visit the Trustees' committee page, with more general information about the Trustees and the NYYM corporation.
- See descriptions of the Trustee-managed Funds.
- Learn how to apply for grants from funds that are open to application.