Spring Sessions 2016
Friday, April 15, 2016 - 6:00pm to Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:00pm
Spring Sessions 2016
April 1–3, 2016
First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens
Somerset, New Jersey
Rahway & Plainfield Meetinghouse
Plainfield, New Jersey
Welcome to the summary page for New York Yearly Meeting's 2016 Spring Sessions.
Hosts. Shrewsbury & Plainfield Half-yearly Meeting hosted Spring Sessions 2016, held April 1–3 in central New Jersey in the following locations:
Saturday, April 2: First Baptist Church of Lincoln Gardens, Somerset, New Jersey. (This was the location planned for Fall Sessions 2012, but Hurricane Sandy made that impossible.)
Friday evening and Sunday morning, April 1 and 3: Plainfield Meetinghouse, Plainfield, New Jersey.
Minutes of the Spring Sessions
Actions taken by the gathered body of the Yearly Meeting
- Changes to Faith and Practice—first readings:
- The section on The Yearly Meeting, Part Two, section 1.G.
- A new section on the Use of Technology in the Conduct of Business
- Changes of our process for approving changes to Faith and Practice
- We laid down the Yearly Meeting on Ministry and Counsel.
- New ARCH publication. ARCH presented their new publication, Quaker Values and End of Life Decision Making. Contact the yearly meeting office for copies at a cost of $12.50, postage not included.
- New NYYM staff
- We were introduced to Melinda Wenner Bradley, the yearly meeting's new Children and Youth Field Secretary
- We were introduced to the new directors of Powell House, Regina and Dennis Haag
- Interim actions. We heard of interim actions on behalf of the yearly meeting by the clerk and general secretary of the yearly meeting: letters of condolence and solidatiry with Friends in France and Belgium following terrorist attacks in cities of those countries (see below).
- Pay-as-led at Summer Sessions. The yearly meeting is exploring a pay-as-led approach to attending Summer Sessions, modeled on the approach used by New England Yearly Meeting.
- Witness endorsement. We agreed to endorse as a yearly meeting the "The March for a Clean Energy Revolution".
Documents from the Sessions
- Agenda—Spring Sessions 2016
- Schedule—Spring Sessions 2016
- NYYM Trust Fund Redesignations—a proposal for changes.
- Meetings for Discernment report—Summer Sessions 2015.
- Travel minute for Don Badgley.
- Faith and Practice—Changes to the Yearly Meeting section and The Use of Technology in the Conduct of Business section (original advance document).
- Laying Down Yearly Meeting on Ministry and Counsel—the recommendation from Ministry Coordinating Committee.
- Outreach Working Group—an announcement and invitation.
- Letters to Friends in Europe—interim actions by the clerk and general secretary following terrorist attacks in France and Belgium.
Reports to Sessions
- General Secretary
- Attendance at Spring Sessions (from Sessions Committee)
Links to original Fall Sessions web pages:
Resources for this Session
|Minutes, Spring Sessions 2016||04/16/2016|
|Spring Sessions 2016, Original pre-Session Portal Page||04/02/2016|
|Spring Sessions 2016 Advance Documents||04/02/2016|