Committee to Revise Faith and Practice
Welcome to the Committee to Revise Faith and Practice.
CHARGE: The Committee is charged to revise the Yearly Meeting’s Book of Discipline according to the direction of the Yearly Meeting.
STRUCTURE: The Committee’s members are approved by the body at the recommendation of the Yearly Meeting Nominating Committee. It is part of the Ministry Section of the Yearly Meeting and reports to the Ministry Coordinating Committee, which considers the Committee’s recommendations prior to their being conveyed to the body.
PROCEDURE: At Summer Sessions 2016, the body approved the following procedure to revise Faith and Practice:
Proposed revisions to Faith and Practice may originate in a monthly or regional meeting or a Yearly Meeting body. When the proposed revision has been seasoned by the Committee to Revise Faith and Practice and approved by Ministry Coordinating Committee, the Committee to Revise Faith and Practice may bring the proposed revision to any Yearly Meeting session for a first reading. After being brought forward the first time, the proposed revision is brought for a second reading and final approval to a subsequent Yearly Meeting session.
RECENT REVISIONS: At Fall Sessions 2016, two revisions were approved by the body at the Committee’s recommendation. One concerned the use of technology in the spiritual work of our Meetings; the other revised the section of Faith and Practice addressing Covenant Relations. See http://www.nyym.org/?q=Minutes-2016FallSessions#technology.
The body also received, for a first reading, the following proposed change to the section of Faith and Practice defining the responsibilities of monthly meeting Ministry and Counsel:
SPIRITUAL CARE OF MEMBERS. Seeking divine guidance in their discernment, members of ministry and counsel should seek to:
[This replaces the section on p. 122. Note also the language addressing related topics at p. 118.]
- foster the spiritual growth of the meeting membership and enhance their religious life and fellowship, including especially the nurture and strengthening of corporate worship of the meeting;
- consider individual needs for guidance and to make provision for personal counsel and assistance in matters of interpersonal relationships among members;
- assist individuals and families confronting problems pertaining to illness, financial matters, marital relations, and decisions of conscience, keeping in mind at all times the limits of ministry and counsel’s expertise;
- review annually the spiritual condition of the meeting and its membership and to write the State of the Meeting reports;
- develop programs and conferences, study groups, and public meetings to disseminate information regarding Friends' spiritual concerns and to assist members and attenders to deepen the life of the spirit;
- where desired by local meetings, consider qualifications and make recommendations concerning recording gifts in ministry or engagement of pastors or meeting secretaries;
- foster a meeting culture that encourages the emergence of gifts, and assures support and accountability for Friends who carry individual gifts in ministry.
RESOURCES: The current version of New York Yearly Meeting’s Faith and Practice, reflecting all approved revisions since the most recent hard-copy printing, is available here.
Friends who wish to compare New York Yearly Meeting’s Discipline with that of other parts of the United States and around the world may use the links provided below:
Alaska Yearly Meeting
Australia Yearly Meeting
Baltimore Yearly Meeting
Britain Yearly Meeting
Canadian Yearly Meeting
Friends United Meeting in East Africa
Illinois Yearly Meeting
Indiana Yearly Meeting
Intermountain Yearly Meeting
Iowa Yearly Meeting
Mid-America Yearly Meeting
New England Yearly Meeting
North Carolina Yearly Meeting Conservative
North Pacific Yearly Meeting
Northwest Yearly Meeting
Ohio Yearly Meeting
Pacific Yearly Meeting
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (current)
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (1806)
Rocky Mountain Yearly Meeting
Southern Appalachian Yearly Meeting
Wilmington Yearly Meeting
Yearly Meeting of Aotearoa/New Zealand
COMMITTEE COMMUNICATIONS: Friends are encouraged to contact the Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.